Saturday, November 17, 2012

Science Experiment for the Kitchen by Chef Pharrell

Kitchen Science with Chef Pharrell

My Cool Kid Cooks Kitchen Science

Kitchen Science by Chef Pharrell, My Cool Kid Cooks
Kitchen Science during My Cool Kid Cooks Birthday Parties
When is it a perfect teaching moment?
Answer: When they are having fun!

I can't tell you how many times I have felt that perfect moment during my classes with teens and kids sharing with them about the joys of cooking.

I always make a point of stressing at least three times during any session with my Jr. Chefs something that draws a attention to what they are learning in school and how it applies to cooking. This I believe is a valuable lesson outside of the classroom because it proves
what they are learning IS important.

One of the favorite moments in every pizza class is the science experiment where we grown the live yeast and they get to touch it and smell it.
I usually start off by letting them feel the "Live creatures" and them telling them that they are very hungry and they are lacking energy. I ask them what could we feed the yeast creatures to give them some very quick energy, usually giving them three choices. After feeding the yeast we measure the size of the container and then after it has a chance to grow we measure it again and they love to feel the foam.
Of course we talk about how the same process that made the foam grow and expand in the glass, makes the dough in the pizza expand and grow in the oven and the bread in a bakery, etc.

The kids talk about this part of the class for months afterwards, I hear this from parents, all of the time.

So what does this mean to you a parent? I think it means that finding real world experiences to share with your teen and young child are just as important as any other activity which you stress in your kids lives.

My Cool Kid Cooks is located in North San Diego County, minutes from Carlsbad, Fallbrook, Poway, Rancho Bernardo, Vista, Oceanside, Del Mar, Encinitas, La Costa, Escondido, Rancho Santa Fe, Fair Banks Ranch, Solana Beach and Leucadia. Though we are located in the north county we travel to Orange County and most of San Diego County, call for more information.

Contact Chef Pharrell at 760-703-1582
or email:
chef@MyCoolKidCooks.com
To view more onsite cooking classes this month, go to our NC San Diego Cooking Classes website and click the Onsite Classes tab:
http://ncsandiegocookingclasses.com/Onsite-Classes.html
and then click the current month's calendar button cooking classes...
For more information about how you can book a birthday party with us contact Chef Pharrell at 760-703-1582

No comments:

Post a Comment